[Orgmode] Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 00:26:48 -0400

As always, thanks so much for the hard work!  And also to John!

On Sun, Oct 05 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> New attachment system
> ---------------------
>
>     You can now attach files to each node in the outline tree.  This
>     works by creating special directories based on the ID of an entry,
>     and storing files in these directories.  Org can keep track of
>     changes to the attachments by automatically committing changes to
>     git.  See the manual for more information.
>
>     Thanks to John Wiegley who contributed this fantastic new concept
>     and wrote org-attach.el to implement it.

Well!  My curiosity's certainly piqued, but I confess that I don't quite
get the applications here.  Any chance Carsten or John would be willing
to let us know how they're using this?

Also, the synopsis above and the manual both mention git integration,
but I don't understand what exactly is done.  It sounds like if the org
file lives in a directory that is a git repo, any additions or changes
to the files in the auto-generated data/ subdirectory are automatically
committed?  Is this the right idea?  What does the synchronize command
do if the directory isn't a git repo?

I am thrilled to see a move towards some nice defaults for org and git
integration.  I see that in org-attach.el you're using shell-command to
call git directly.  If you don't mind, may I ask if you considered using
git.el that is distributed with git (in contrib/emacs/), or even magit
(http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/)?

Thanks again,
/au

--