Re: [Orgmode] Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:36:11 -0700

Comments on the interesting attachment feature.

1.  This function needs "(interactive)", i think.

(defun org-attach-open-in-emacs ()
  "Open attachment, force opening in Emacs.
See `org-attach-open'."
  (org-attach-open 'in-emacs))

2.  This is trivial to rebind, but my guess is that emacs types would
prefer to open things in emacs using the nonshifted keys.  e.g. dired
instead of file browser, emacs instead of text editor.

3.  I'm getting the idea that the attachment system is partly to avoid
linking files?  This is good because links are easy to break.  The key
is to have a directory that is only for org, and to use the filesystem
to identify the attachments.  Then there is no broken link to a file.
I like the idea.

The current implementation explicitly lists the attachments.  Perhaps
they could be retrieved from the dir?

4.  Another possibility, if we have a directory dedicated to a node,
might be to inline the files under the node.  Each subnode would be
the name of a file in the dir associated with the node.  The contents
of the subnode are the contents of the file.  Then any editing of a
headline would change the filename, and any editing of the contents
would change the file contents.  Searching would find things in the
contents.  Yet data are only stored in the files themselves, not in
the org file.

For what it's worth.