[Orgmode] filtering the weekly agenda

From: George Pearson
Subject: [Orgmode] filtering the weekly agenda
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:08:51 -0400

I have been using org mode to great effect for a couple of months now
but there is one thing I have not been able to figure out how to do -
filtering what is shown in the weekly agenda.

Naturally, when I'm DOING the tasks, I need to see everything scheduled
for the day.  My problem is when I am SCHEDULING tasks for the week.
The weekly agenda shows me way more than I need to see when scheduling.

My specific problem arises because every day I have a whole bunch of
recurring
tasks, each typically 10-20 minutes of effort.  After these, I generally
have four hours per day available for tasks related to my big projects.
Unfortunately, the recurring tasks all appear in the weekly agenda,
making it a nuisance to find the days which are still available for
scheduling the big project tasks.  But I have not been able to figure
out how to suppress the recurring task clutter in the weekly agenda view.

I can see several possible approaches to filtering out the recurring
tasks (if such filtering is even possible in the weekly agenda):
1. somehow use the fact that the task has a repeater
2. use the category - right now the tasks are all in a "Recurring"
category
3. mark each with a "recurring" tag and use that
4. put the recurring in a different org file (I currently use just
one org file)

By the way - when scheduling, I use a view of my org file in one emacs
frame and the weekly agenda (in column view, so I can see the "efforts")
in a second frame.

Any advice appreciated!