Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode Presentation Videos

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode Presentation Videos
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:32:26 +0100

Russell Adams wrote:
Fellow Org'ers,

About a month after Carsten gave his incredible presentation at
Google, I shared his video with the Houston Linux Users Group at one
of our bimonthly Saturday meetings.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I chose to share his video with the
group and augment it with my own presentation and some demonstrations.

Our HLUG member John Lightsey videotaped the presentation, and we have
made it available on Google Video. Other videos from John and HLUG are
available at http://houstonlinux.org.

Carsten asked me to share these videos with the group, and so here
they are!

There are two parts, the first video is my introduction to Org and
Carsten's talk. It ends where we start Carsten's video, which you can
still see online on Youtube.

The second part comes after we have viewed Carsten's video, and I
continue speaking and perform hands on demonstrations using Org.

Part 1:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3520628301435542631&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug

Carsten's Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM

Part 2:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2572085463585491742&ei=X473SJSzMoTs-wGD9piJBA&q=hlug

Feedback is welcome, I hope everyone enjoys the videos as much as I
enjoyed giving the talk!

I enjoyed watching these; and you're clearly a huge org-mode evangelist!

I found both videos entertaining, but if you're an org-er already and are short on time, then I'd recommend skipping straight to Part 2 (after watching Carsten's video of course), where Russell provides a great demonstration of how he uses org-mode, and the extent to which he uses it!

Only the second half of Part 1 is about org-mode, with the first being a crash course in xargs command. Part 1 is primarily an enthusiastic introduction about how org-mode is one of the few technologies to have revolutionised the way Russell works for many years.

I found the relaxed chatty pace and banter both interesting and entertaining but others might prefer a more concise demonstration.

Part 2 is definitely the most enthusiastic and convincing demonstration of org-mode I've yet seen! You get the feeling Russell would make a good salesman ;-)

I'd love to see others try and top it though,

Great work!

R.