Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode Presentation Videos

From: srandby
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode Presentation Videos
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:06:02 -0400

Russell Adams wrote:
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:30:12PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
The videos are all extremely useful and enjoyable. Too bad they are not available in OGG format.

They are! Ogg Theora "raw" video is available on
http://video.houstonlinux.org/, in the raw directory. The timestamp is
August 9th, this year. Two files total.

Thanks.

I have one suggestion that simplifies the processing of the LaTeX output files. Install AUCTeX (http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/). Then you can stay in Emacs to do the processing. How? Open foo.tex in a buffer, and type in "C-c C-c latex" to process the file. If you want to view the PDF output, type "C-c C-v". I sometimes wish that AUCTeX was included in the Emacs distribution.

Actually, I prefer the Makefile. I often tweak items in the export
template up top and in the "Local Variables" at the bottom, and either
I have to use 'normal-mode' or C-c C-c to reload these individually.

The Makefile kicks off a new emacs, no need to reload at all. It also
runs pdflatex twice. I'd tinkered with making my Graphviz .dot files a
dependency too so they'll be updated.

Now I understand what you were doing during the talk. My knowledge is too limited to use a Makefile, but I'm intrigued.

One comment. I've been using LaTeX for about 15 years, Emacs for about 2 years and Org-Mode for about 8 months. My LaTeX files are heavily customized and I'm used to working with them without org-mode. My few, and not very serious, attempts to move my LaTeX work to org-mode have not given satisfactory results, so I've put off changing my work flow until I have more time to figure out the LaTeX export features of org-mode. But, I am using org-mode extensively for my other work related tasks. I have org files that keep track of my students' grades and my web site is built from a single org file. As you pointed out in your talk, org-mode allows one to work!

Scott Randby