Re: [Orgmode] Sync org-mode files in different computers

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Sync org-mode files in different computers
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:55:57 -0400

address@hidden (Flávio de Souza) writes:

> I would like to know how I sync org-mode files in different computer
> over local network and over the internet.

I think most people will agree that the best way to sync org-mode files
is to keep them under some kind of version control system.  The
advantage that has over something like rsync is that if you happen to
make changes in different places (laptop and home, for example) without
synchronizing in between (because you forget, or because your network
connection is down, or something), then you can merge your edits in some
way more fine-grained than "newest change wins".

I started out using Subversion (svn) to keep my org-mode files, and am
now using Mercurial (hg), which has both the advantages of being a dvcs
(every working copy is also a complete repository) and of being easier
to set up.  Many people also like git or bzr.  For just the purposes of
syncing your org-mode files, which one you choose isn't very important.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    address@hidden  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |