Re: [Orgmode] How you can help

From: Ben Alexander
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How you can help
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:04:48 +0100

Sebastian Rose wrote:
>  5. I also think of little packages for testing parts of org.

I'm curious if you or someone else has any ideas for writing automated tests for org-mode. I haven't the foggiest idea how someone would write a test for the parts of org that control what is displayed on the screen. I mean, when the bug is 'it doesn't look right' how can you tell?

Perhaps the git repository should have a small collection of small org- mode files that reproduce certain bugs? If there were some examples of how to create such a test, then perhaps bug reporters would find it much easier to create them.

I do see some confusing issues due to different configuration files. So creating a test file might involve making sure org-mode doesn't read any configuration (how do you do that?) and possible asking org- mode to extract all the configuration variables it has right now and dump them into a test file (...and how do you do that?)