[Orgmode] Re: worg for bug reports and feature requests was: (Regression

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: worg for bug reports and feature requests was: (Regression testing for org-mode)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:04:40 -0700

Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:

> Avdi Grimm wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Also, should we start tracking bug reports somewhere (worg), so that
>>> they can be claimed, tested against, and repaired?
>>
>> Not a bad idea.  Normally I'd recommend just going with an established
>> bug tracker like Trac or Lighthouse, but since Org is so great for
>> managing tasks it seems only right that the developers should "eat
>> their own dogfood" by using Org to track tickets :-)
>>

> Actually, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the notion of using Org
> to track tickets.  The reason is not that org mightn't be up to the job,
> but that the use of org with git won't be up to it.  systems like trac
> and bugzilla are set up to allow outsiders to post bugs, but if we use
> git, then we're really raising the bar for bug submission.  Instead of
> filling out a form, a bug reporter would now have to figure out how to
> use git, pull the org file, modify it, and then either push it (which
> would require someone to authorize him or her) or submit it to someone
> else who would push it.  That seems inappropriate to me --- when you're
> developing software a good bug report is very valuable, and one
> shouldn't turn them away.
>
> Unless someone can figure out an easier way for people to submit bugs
> with what worg has now, I'm inclined to say that trac or bugzilla would
> be better.

Yes, you're correct the current method of contributing to worg is
definitely too high of a bar for bug reports, or feature requests.  That
said once they were submitted, worg would be a good mechanism for
tracking reported bugs/features, and for publishing lists of said
reports on the web.  Worg/org has the added advantage that it is already
familiar to the entire org community.

As you mention, the question seem to be: can we implement a simple
interface for reporting bugs/feature-recs which will?

1) work well with worg as it's currently used, and
2) which won't constantly be begging for enhancements until we're
   re-implementing a full bug tracking system from scratch

I don't think this would be too difficult, say...

  a simple web form, which could be embedded into one of the worg pages,
  and could drop bug/feature-recs into an org-mode file under git.
  Would anyone be up to trying to throw such a thing together?  If only
  I had some more time...

Thanks -- Eric