Re: [Orgmode] How you can help

From: Jeff Mickey
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How you can help
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:02:46 -0400

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 14:44, Avdi Grimm <address@hidden> wrote:
> For the record, I normally would never expect the user to submit
> tests.  A description of the problem and some sample data is all I
> expect.  Writing the a test to reproduce the behavior is the
> programmer's responsibility as far as I'm concerned.

That's the best part of open source software!  A surprising amount of
the time, the user IS a programmer, and thus is able to provide tests.

And it's not that we should require anyone to provide tests before
they report a bug, but they should be required to outline the steps to
reproduce the behavior, so any programmer could take 5 minutes and
quickly whip up a test.

ps: I almost have a baby ert framework for org-mode.  It doesn't do
anything yet, but the design is you write a test, and add it to the
org-test-hook to be run by org-test-all.
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .