Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:14:46 -0500

On Tue Oct 28 2008 at 12:58, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there are interesting ideas coming up in this tasks, in
> particular the question if message IDs can be used to find articles in
> gnus, even if they have been moved around.  I am not sure if this
> questions has been fully answered, but I have not read the thread
> carefully enough yet, and certainly not tried Michaels code.
>
> Right now I would like to take a little step back and understand
> better what the original poster is trying to do.

I'm the OP; I think you captured it well in the rest of your message.
Using planner/muse, I've come to think of the day page as the
fundamental unit of information (though I suppose it can be used in
other ways).  What I do today is recorded on today's page - outgoing
emails, notes, remember records; also, any planner items/projects/etc
marked as 'done' are left behind on today's page.  When a new day page
is generated, all ongoing projects from the previous day migrate like a
herd of elephants across the savannah to the new day page.

My main use of that day-based information is in writing weekly and
monthly reports - a collection of stuff I've done that I and others may
find helpful now and in the distant future when all details have been
forgotten.

It seems to me so far that org doesn't have the same notion of a day
page; perhaps the fundamental unit of information is the note?  There
seems to be a certain 'timeless' quality to org pages, aside from
deadlines and schedules.  That timelessness is disconcerting when coming
from planner.

[...snip...]

> To me it seems that instead of creating a sequential list of links to
> emails for each day, it would be more interesting to create a way to
> collect links relating to a project or a task in the outline node of
> the project, or maybe in an attachment file of the project (if the
> list of emails is long).

Indeed.  There's surely no pressing need to implement a feature that
isn't useful in org's philosophy of the universe.  Perhaps if I can
switch over to org and begin to think in its ways, I'll find a useful
fundamental unit of information other than the day page and its
date-based contents.

Cheers -

bw
--