[Orgmode] OS X, Quicksilver and org-mode

From: Christopher Suckling
Subject: [Orgmode] OS X, Quicksilver and org-mode
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:11:01 -0700

Hosted at

http://claviclaws.net/org

are a suite of AppleScripts, shell scripts and elisp that I use to
link OS X applications with org-mode.

It is essentially an expanded version of org-annotation-helper by
[bzg] and [dmg] that found in the contrib directory of the org-mode
distribution.

For users of OS X and Quicksilver, these scripts offer several
advantages over org-annotation-helper. Primarily, they allow the user
to invoke remember and append a note to an org-mode buffer without
switching focus from their current application (should they wish to
switch to Emacs and make more detailed annotations, then this is also
possible). As with org-annotation-helper, one can also just send a
link to the Emacs kill-ring.

A secondary advantage is that one can use any remember template
without the need to include special strings in the templates.

These scripts are relatively general, but are set up for my personal
workflow; some editing is required, which is (I hope) clearly documented.

Known issues:

Not all OS X applications are AppleScript aware, or have the same
AppleScript capabilities. Consequently the included scripts for my own
workflow; there is a general catch all part of the script, but it
won't provide as detailed an annotation, if it provides one at
all (For example Preview is not AppleScript enabled and so will not
work with these scripts. I use Skim instead).

The first time the scripts are run, they can be a little slow;
subsequent invocations (prior to logging out) occur at a satisfactory
speed.

Occasionally emacs-server goes down (I'm using Carbon Emacs) and needs
restarting before the scripts will work again.

I hope a couple of people will find these scripts of some use. I'd be
delighted to receive feedback, additional AppleScript support for
further applications etc.

Christopher