Re: R: [Orgmode] Problems with iCalendar export of my Calendar

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: R: [Orgmode] Problems with iCalendar export of my Calendar
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:19:07 +0100

Hi Giovanni,

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:38:28 +0000 (GMT)
Giovanni Ridolfi <address@hidden> wrote:

 gr> Well, don't you like the "default" org-mode:
 gr> with the number of days (1/3)  ?

No, I think that is very annoying.

The only numbers I want to see there are times.

What I would want is something like this:

 Friday      7 December 2007
  abba:                   Gothenburg, Sweden
  abba:       10:40-12:25 Flight SK 602 Zurich to Copenhagen
  abba:       14:10-14:55 Flight SK 438 Copenhagen to Gothenburg

where the "all day" or "time unspecific" events are listed on top
without any time, but properly indented, followed by all the timed
events in chronological order.

 gr> I think your org file should be structured better exploiting the
 gr> :PROPERTIES:

Thanks for the pointer.

Indeed it seems that properties can solve a significant amount of the
issues, although I had been avoiding them so far as I find them to
decrease the usability of the file.

When editing a calendar, it is very helpful to see the times and places
at first sight so you know that you don't have overlap or gaps.

If times are hidden in properties, that is much harder.

Also they are fairly cumbersome to edit.

 gr> appears quite clear to me: "The export will honor SUMMARY,
 gr> DESCRIPTION and LOCATION properties if the selected entries have
 gr> them.  If not, the summary will be derived from the headline, and
 gr> the description from the body (limited to
 gr> `org-icalendar-include-body' characters). "

That last part is interesting. It had indeed not occured to me that I
could set org-icalendar-include-body to 0 in order to avoid bogus
descriptions.

Regards,
Georg

--