Re: [Orgmode] Re: Repeating tasks with a time period?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Repeating tasks with a time period?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:52:44 +0100

On Nov 13, 2008, at 8:24 PM, Chris McMahan wrote:

Just a thought....

Calendar/Diary already has a very sophisticated mechanism for
repeating appointments, blocks of time and such.

Has any thought been given to using this same mechanism, and basically
making the org files almost like super calendar files that can also
handle tasks, outlining and such?

You can insert diary sexp entries directly as they are into Org files,
and also into the <...> timestamp brackets.  Check the manual.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html#Timestamps
http://orgmode.org/manual/Weekly_002fdaily-agenda.html#Weekly_002fdaily-agenda

In addition, the remember code for items such as vm mail, gnus and
such could be standardized to generate links that work with both
planner and org-mode. That way, all of the work of generating links
will be with the remember package, and not rewritten for every
implementation that uses them.

I think both package are too old and have too much legacy files in the hands of many users to change this. However, the link formats are actually similar enough to make the code following links understand both formats.

- Carsten

Just some random musings.

- Chris

Bernt Hansen writes:
"Oliver Charles" <address@hidden> writes:

I'm starting to use org-mode more and more at the moment, and want to
integrate my university schedule into my agenda, instead of
maintaining 2 separate calendars.

Here's an real-world example of what I'd like to do, I'm not sure it's
possible with org-mode though...

I have a CSC243 practical every Tuesday, at 1100-1300. It repeats
weekly, starting on 28/10/2008 and the last one is on 16/12/2008. I
can get it repeating weekly from this date with just a start time, but
cannot work out how to repeat the time region.

,----[ university.org ]
| * Classes
| ** TODO CSC243 Practical
|    SCHEDULED: <2008-10-28 Tue 11:00-13:00 +1w>

`----

Also, is there anyway to stop the repeating event when it gets to that
date? If that's not possible, I don't mind having to go in and
manually remove the event - most changes happen at the end of a term
anyawy.

No, repeating items go on forever (as far as I know)

I normally deal with this with a second deadline item to kill the task.
Something like this:

,----[ university.org ]
| * Classes
| ** TODO CSC243 Practical
|    SCHEDULED: <2008-10-28 Tue 11:00-13:00 +1w>
| *** TODO Task ends
|     DEADLINE: <2008-12-16 Tue -7d>

`----

and then I just remove the +1w from the CSC243 task and mark it and the
deadline task as done.

I would also recommend putting these tasks in a separate org file and
just adding it to your agenda with C-c [.  Then it's easy to drop it
from the agenda in the future with C-c ].

HTH,
Bernt