[Orgmode] Feature Request: org-remember to attach toa different headline

From: Jonathan Arkell
Subject: [Orgmode] Feature Request: org-remember to attach toa different headline level
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:47:52 -0500

Hi everyone

Having moved from planner mode to org mode, I am quite happy.  It has required
a few shifts in my planning behavior, but all in all it is for the better.  One
of the biggest things I miss about planner mode though is the ability to
quickly attach a task to a particular planner page from anywhere.  I've been
able to replicate the same behavior with a bit of elisp and Remember, but
Remember always likes to attach tasks to the first level, but I need it to
attach to a 2nd level headline.  Would it be possible to do a check on the
headline, and if it is prefixed by a star, it would attach to the headline at
the starred level?  For instance if the headline in org-remember-template is
set to "*** Tasks" it would attach the Remember note to the first *** Tasks
headline it saw.  If it was "Tasks" it would do the normal behavior, which is
to attach it to "* Tasks".

Here is my org-create-task so that other planner-mode refugees can utilize it.
Note that it assumes all org files are in ~/org/

(defun org-create-task (org-file)
   "An emulation of planner-create-task."
   (interactive
         (list
           (completing-read "Org file: " (directory-files "~/org/"))))
   (aput 'org-remember-templates "Current Project" `(?c "** TODO %?\n
DEADLINE: %^t\n    Made From:%i\n      %a" ,(concat "~/org/" org-file) "Tasks"))
   (org-remember nil ?c))

Jonathan Arkell
Sr. Web Developer
Inspired by Drum + Bass, Scheme, Kawaii
402 – 11 Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0Y4
t: 403.206.4377
www.criticalmass.com

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be
read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and delete or destroy any copy of this message.