Re: [Orgmode] A few new user questions, Custom agenda views, calendar in

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] A few new user questions, Custom agenda views, calendar in frame, and Hyperlinks on win32
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:07:55 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

"Jonathan Arkell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Everybody
>
> I have some fairly simple new user questions, and I am hoping you
> guys can help me out.
>
> I have a few custom agenda views that I would like to create, but I
> am having some issues. My files are laid out in 1 file per project,
> and each file starts with a level 1 outline element tagged
> :project:. (I do have other file types that are appropriately
> tagged). I thought that if I wanted to list all TODOs in all my
> (appropriately tagged) project files, it would be as easy as setting
> up a custom agenda command.

A couple of things you might want to double-check here: 1) do you have
tag inheritance turned on and 2) are the relevant TODO subheadings
nested beneath the level 1 heading tagged "project"?

That said, it's probably easier to tag the whole file by placing a
filetags declaration at the top of the file:

#+FILETAGS: project

> The one I set up had a tags-todo type, with search “project” or
> “+project”, but I get … well… no results. Ideally I’d like to have a
> couple of different lists, all project tagged files with TODO items
> and all project tagged files with WAITING items. Can someone give me
> a hand? (I’m not adverse to using setq in my .emacs, in fact, that
> might make things a little easier for me anyways)

I find the easiest way to filter todos by tags is to use "/" within
the agenda view. That is, hit C-c a t to get a list of all todos, then
type "/" and the tag to filter the todo list.

> Secondly, I am having an issue where my Calendar is popping up in a
> new frame all the time, either when scheduling an item or through
> remember. I’d rather it pop up in a new window instead. Is this
> possible?
>
> Finally, I am having a problem with some external links, whenever I
> try to visit a file like \\AWindowsServer\path\to\file I get the
> error message “eval: ShellExecute failed: The system cannot find the
> file specified. ^M” Is it easy to fix this? What is going on?

Sorry I can't help you here. Windows machines are a foreign country to
me.

Matt