Re: [Orgmode] Writing in Org Mode - line wrap and tables

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Writing in Org Mode - line wrap and tables
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 08:39:37 -0800

"Graham Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am really enjoying Org Mode / Emacs but find the line wrap issue a
> bit irritating and wondering if I am missing an obvious solution.
>
> When I am just writing I use longlines mode, which is fine, but I also
> use a lot of tables, and the tables feature is great, but tables wrap
> unusably when longlines mode is enabled, which is OK when I don't need
> to refer to them, but difficult when I do.
>
> So, at the moment, I am toggling longlines mode off and on every few
> seconds/minutes to let me write.
>
> Is there a better way of dealing with this?

Have you tried `auto-fill-mode'?  With this turned on Emacs will break
all of your lines automatically as you type, and your tables will be
able to grow unaffected.  If you do begin to use auto-fill-mode you will
probably want to become familiar with the `fill-paragraph' command
(mapped to M-q) which you can use to tidy up paragraphs which have
gotten away from `auto-fill-mode'.

I don't know of any way to enable longlines-mode without affecting
tables.

Cheers -- Eric