Re: [Orgmode] searchable refcard?

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] searchable refcard?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:17:18 +1000

I hope I don't make a nuisance of myself by responding to this.  I posted at some earlier date about my idea of making an org-help file "help.org" that I can call up with a keystroke.  This is an extension of the texinfo concept, perhaps, or a subset of it.

I think this would best be done in texinfo, and generate a rough equivalent of the refcard's contents (keybindings reference and brief notes), separate from the org mode info document.   I looked at texinfo, and even though I can write fairly sophisticated material in LaTeX, texinfo looks daunting enough to discourage me from trying.

For now, I have borrowed the idea of publishing a text refcard, but in org-mode.  The reference card is then folded in outline format.  I have been doing the converstion by hand from orgcard.tex, by using the untex command to generate a rough text file, and then taking several passes through the file to setup headlines and format the lines.  This can all be done in one or two steps, with a short elisp function, but I haven't had the time to brush up on elisp (I notice it's a moving target, as well).

The upshot for now may be a kludge, but it's extremeliy useful on a day to day basis.  See help.org, attached.  No warantees implied.

That brought me to the question of how is the refcard written and kept up to date?  Possibly from other files in the org repository?  Or is it separately written up each time?  It is usually up to date with the newest version of org-mode, at least insofar as the version number.

With apologies,

Alan