Re: [Orgmode] Language question

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Language question
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:25:15 +0100

Wow,

I am blown away by the flood of answers with various degrees of explanations.

Thank you all very much.

- Carsten

On Dec 10, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Peter Frings wrote:

On 10 Dec 2008, at 17:13, Womick, Don wrote:

's always indicates possession, never plurality.

I don't think there's a hard-and-fast choice between "IDs" and "ids",
but "IDs" looks better to me, since it's clear that you're using an
abbreviation. But if you write "id" (singular), be consistent and write
"ids" (plural).

I'm not a native English speaker, but since the Chicago Manual of Style is within reach...

About the plural:
<quote>
* Letters, nouns coinages, numbers: So far as it can be done without confusion, single or multiple letters used as words, hyphenated coinages used as nouns, and numbers (wether spelled out or in figures) firm the plural by adding s alone:

the three Rs
YMCAs

* Abbreviations with periods, lowercase letters used as nouns, and capital letters that would be confusing if /s/ alone were added form the plural with an apostrohpe and an s:

Ph.D's
x's and y's
SOS's
</quote>

About the capitalization:
I can't find it right now (might have read it somewhere else), but I think the rule is rather simple:

Acronyms should be written in uppercase when they are spelled out in speech, e.g. ID (Ey-Dee). When they're being used as words, they're written in lowercase, e.g., 'radar'.

Combining the two, I think it's "IDs".

Cheers,
Peter.