Re: [Orgmode] Possible to get a subtree agenda view? --- possible bug?

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible to get a subtree agenda view? --- possible bug?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:43:30 -0600

Matthew Lundin wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Matthew Lundin wrote:
>>> Hi Robert,

>>> For a custom agenda command:
>>>
>>> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>>>       '(("f" tags-tree "+car+TODO=\"TODO\""
>>>      ((org-show-entry-below t)
>>>       (org-show-hierarchy-above nil)))
>>>           ;; other commands
>>>         ))
>>>
>> Actually, I just tried this with a recent git pull, and when I try to
>> execute it, it crashes, with the following error:
>
> Sorry if I forgot to mention it in my first post, but I believe this
> custom command only works when the agenda is called from within an org
> buffer. As far as I understand it, since the tags tree command creates
> a sparse tree within an org buffer, it needs a particular org buffer
> to work with.

If that is the case, isn't it incorrect to offer "tags-tree" as one of
the org-agenda custom commands?  Since it can't be safely invoked as
part of org-agenda?

One suggested possible solution:  Change tags-tree argument to (tags
tree <filename>), then do some kind of with-excursion to get into the
buffer for <filename> (in org mode).  But here we're running up against
my limited understanding of the tags tree.  Is tags-tree even really an
agenda command?  I.e., does it build a new agenda buffer that we can
use, or is it a way of viewing the current buffer?  I think the latter.
 If that is correct, it suggests ....

Alternate solution:  remove tags-tree from the set of org-agenda
commands.  tags-tree isn't really an agenda-building command, and should
not be treated as one.

Note also that this means that this doesn't work as a solution to my
problem, because it requires all of the car category items to appear in
a single org file, and ignores the org-agenda-files setting.  So, for
example, I can't have work-related in-car tasks in one org file and
personal chores that are in-car tasks in another.  :-(