[Orgmode] question about org-region-active-p

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: [Orgmode] question about org-region-active-p
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:51:32 -0600

The definition of org-region-active-p in my copy of org-mode is as follows:

(defun org-region-active-p ()
  "Is `transient-mark-mode' on and the region active?
Works on both Emacs and XEmacs."
  (if org-ignore-region
      nil
    (if (featurep 'xemacs)
        (and zmacs-regions (region-active-p))
      (if (fboundp 'use-region-p)
          (use-region-p)
        (and transient-mark-mode mark-active)))))

What seems odd to me is that this command will only work on an emacs 22
(like my Aquamacs) if transient-mark-mode is enabled.  Is that correct,
and is that what's desired?

[I found this because I tried to publish a subtree of an org file, and I
found that org-region-active-p was NIL even after C-c @
(outline-mark-subtree).]

This may be an oddity of aquamacs -- it seems to prefer cua-mode and
turn off transient-mark-mode by default.  I confess to not really
understanding that decision or its implications.

thanks,