Re: [Orgmode] Footnotes and org-export, revisited

From: Jörg Hagmann
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Footnotes and org-export, revisited
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:04:56 +0100

5.  A final solution (which might also gain other advantages) could be
to begin to facilitate an org-export mode to Pandoc's native
plain-text syntax (an extension of Markdown).[7] Pandoc is a robust
Haskell engine to convert between plain text formats.  This would add
a step to org-mode export, but that one step could potentially allow
conversion into the wide range of formats that Pandoc supports
(markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, RTF, DocBook XML,
OpenDocument XML, ODT, GNU Texinfo, MediaWiki markup, groff man pages,
and S5 HTML slide shows). Pandoc's syntax model already has a lot in
common with org's.  (Both allow LaTeX pass-through, for example).  I
don't know if such an export would meet the effort vs. value trade
off, but I suggest it might.
I would welcome an org-export mode to Pandoc's markdown. I'm currently using markdown --> Pandoc for generating pdfs via ConTeXt and editable documents for people using word processors. An org-export mode to markdown would definitely make org the dominating mode for me.

Cheers, Jörg

--
Prof. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari MD
University of Basel