Re: [Orgmode] help with checklist/shopping list

From: Daniel J. Sinder
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] help with checklist/shopping list
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:18:40 -0800

(Sorry for chiming in a week later.)

I think the best way to accomplish this, in that it combines the strengths of other suggestions, is to use properties and column view. Building the structure is pretty easy since you only have to manually create the property drawer under the top-most heading. The rest are inserted automatically when the check boxes are changed while in column view mode (using S-left or S-right).

Here's an implementation of your example. Switching to column view shows you the summary count (i.e., [n/m]) for to top level (here [2/8]) AND each of the sub-levels (groceries [1/4], household [1/2], office supplies [0/2]).

* [2008-12-15 Mon]
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COLUMNS: %30ITEM %CHECKED{X/}
  :CHECKED_ALL: "[ ]" "[X]"