Re: [Orgmode] structure editing in brainstorming mode

From: Daniel Martins
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] structure editing in brainstorming mode
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:33:49 -0200

 I wish you a (transient-mark-mode -1) and a happy new year :-)  ???

May your transition into the next year be highlighted ???

(comment-add 0)
(setq happy-new-year t)

Daniel

2008/12/31 Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>

On Dec 31, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

Thanks.  But I had to turn on transient mark mode for it to work.
Intended behavior I guess?

Yes.  Everybody should turn it on.  Why would you not?

 Why ā€˛should" everyone use transient mark mode? Not everyone has to like that setting, and some may prefer to work without it.

 I myself find it confusing because when I set the mark, I want just to mark that point for later use (to jump quickly there, for instance). transient-mark-mode assumes that I always want to *start a region*, which is not true.

 I also like to select text without highlighting; it is less distracting and more readable.

 I wish you a (transient-mark-mode -1) and a happy new year :-)

OK, point taken.  I hardly ever use the mark as a jumping point.

When I need to remember a position, most of the time I split the
window, go to where I want momentarily in the new window, and
then close that window again.

I thought that transient-mark-mode was the only way to make use
of commands that automatically use the region if one is active.
But because of your mail, I went back to the Emacs manual and
learned about the Momentary Mark, which is
transient-transient-mark-mode, sort of.  Pretty nice, this is
a viable alternative to turning on transient-mark-mode, so viable
that I am now considering turning off transient-mark-mode :-)

OK, rephrase:

 To use region-sensitive commands, everybody should either
 turn on transient-mark-mode, or learn about the momentary mark.

May your transition into the next year be highlighted.

- Carsten

Daniel