Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release 6.17

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release 6.17
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 14:58:34 -0600

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2009, at 3:33 PM, Steven E. Harris wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Code references use special labels embedded directly into the source
>>> code.  Such labels look like "((name))" and must be unique within a
>>> document.
>>
>> How does the parser know that, say, "((def))" is not a valid expression
>> in the surrounding Lisp forms? Is it important that it be separated by
>> space, or be the last token on the line?
>>
>> Trying to concoct a motivating example, consider a structure represented
>> as nested lists:
>>
>> ,----
>> | '(a
>> |   ((b c) d)
>> |   (((e) f))    ((def))
>> |   g)
>> `----
>>
>> Without knowing what the enclosing `quote' form means, how do know that
>> "((def))" is not part of it?
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> good question, and the answer is that is does not know,
> cannot know, because this is a feature that is supposed
> to work for any kind of example, an the parser cannot
> know all possible syntaxes :-)
>
> This idea is to make this work in a heuristic way, by using something
> that is unlikely enough to occur in real code.
>
> You are right that what I am using might be too
> dangerous for emacs lisp or other lisp dialects, and
> it could also show up in other languages like C.
>
> What would be safer?
>
>  <<name>>    like the other Org-mode targets?  That would make sense.
>             Does anyone know a language where this would be used
>             in real life?  It would make it harder to write about
>             Org-mode, though.
>
> Or do we need another option, so that, if needed, we could switch do
> a different syntax?
>
> Comments are very welcome.
>
> - Carsten

I think that is quote words in perl 6.

@list = <<$this is a 'list' of 7 strings>>  # in perl 6 is
@list = qw/$this is a 'list' of 7 strings/  # in perl 5.

It's looking like perl 6 will be a reality and that syntax is
recommend in several places like hash dereferences.

%hash<<bareword>>  # look up bareword in %hash

I can't remember enough off the top of my head, but I think <<name>>
will play merry heck with common(?) perl 6 code.  I can look up more
examples if needed.

Edd