Re: [Orgmode] Pulling Carsten's changes.

From: Manish
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Pulling Carsten's changes.
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:50:27 +0530

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

  > This reminds me that I had a couple of minor niggles with this process
  > when I tried to pull a new version:
  >
  > 1. Shouldn't the Makefile "install" target have "install-info" added
  > as a dependency? Otherwise, item 3 of the FAQ entry should be modified
  > to include "make install-info". Also, the default installation
  > directory is /usr/local, which is not usually user-writable, so it
  > should be "sudo make install".

FWIW, I just do "make clean && make && make doc" and skip "make
install" entirely (and refer to HTML documentation.)  I guess it's
okay for me since I am the sole user of this installation.  Location
of Org is added to .emacs by:

,----
| (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode.git/lisp")
`----

So it's just "cd ~/elisp/org-mode.git/ && git pull && make clean &&
make && make doc" (followed by reloading org from inside Emacs)
whenever I wish to upgrade.

  > 2. Item 6 in the FAQ entry says "You should restart org mode to have
  > the changes take effect". What is the best way to do this? I couldn't
  > get anything to work, short of rebooting emacs.

You can reload Org mode by "M-x org-mode-restart" but I also found a
few times that it did not work.  And then Bernt posted this a while
ago which solved the problem of loading new version for me.

,----
| (setq my-org-mode-git-directory "~/elisp/org-mode.git")
|
| (defun org-reload-org (&optional source)
|   "Reload Compiled Org lisp files."
|   (interactive "p")
|   (message "source is %s" source)
|   (if (equal source 4)
|       (setq my-org-files "\\.el\\'")
|     (setq my-org-files "\\.elc\\'"))
|   (mapc (lambda(f) (load (car f)))
|         (directory-files-and-attributes (concat
my-org-mode-git-directory "/lisp") t my-org-files)))
`----

Regards,
--
Manish