Re: [Orgmode] Windows and emacs

From: Mike Newman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Windows and emacs
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:18:03 +0000

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:41:36 +0100
Raimund Kohl-Füchsle <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> it may happen that I have to switch to Windows XP and since I have no
> idea how XP works (up to this point in time I only ran Linux
> machines) I thought to ask since I want to stick with org-mode: How
> do I get org-mode and emacs run best with XP?  As far as I know there
> are at least two ways to get emacs running; one is to simply download
> emacs, two is downloading cygwin; if it is cygwin that I have to go
> with then which emacs?  If I saw it right there are several
> choices ... ummm ... any hints on that?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> ray

What I use is the EmacsW32
(http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html).  This gives you recent
snapshot of Emacs 23 (I use the patched version).

I also recommend installing cygwin, and doing a little bit of work in
getting emacs to use it (not difficult, but I can't remember the
details).  If you know linux, you are sure to find it useful.  I don't
suggest using a cygwin build of emacs (I think the native build will be
easier to use).

One advantage of having cygwin installed is that you can then use "make"
to build you a new version of org.

Hope this is helpful.
--
Mike