Re: [Orgmode] [PERF] Slow Org Agenda Custom Commands

From: Jason Jackson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [PERF] Slow Org Agenda Custom Commands
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:56:19 +1100

Thank you Matthew, this improved the performance to an acceptable ~half second

I still wonder if multiple property searches could be optimized somehow, but for my purposes I'm satisfied =)

For example, you can't use agenda filter commands with org-stuck-project-list, thus you'd have to resort to a slow property search. Some people might want to search for high priority stuck projects. (I solved this by introducing different 'priority' todo states)

-Jason

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Jason,

"Jason Jackson" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using the following org agenda custom command, with a relatively small
> org-mode text file, and agenda creation is taking around 3-4 seconds, it
> becomes unbearably worse if I modify stuck-projects to also use properties
> searches)
>
> Is there anything I can change to speed up the commands execution; or
> developer changes to org-mode?
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("h" "Next Action"
>          (
>           (agenda ""
>                   ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
>                    (org-agenda-time-grid '())
>                    (org-deadline-warning-days 5)
>                    (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(time-up priority-down))
>                    (org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>                    (org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's Agenda: ")
>                    ))
>           ;;;;;;; SLOW COMMAND #1
>           (tags "@HOME-habit-__IGNORE-SCHEDULED>\"<2000-01-01>\"/TODO|BLOCKED|
> SUBMIT"
>                 ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))
>                  (org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled Todo
>       (@Home): ")
>                  ))

As you suggest, any searches for properties other than TODO, LEVEL,
and CATEGORY can be quite slow.

Have you considered using a todo search and then using secondary
filtering to limit by tag. This would enable you to use either of the
following variables:

- org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date
- org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled

Best,