Re: [Orgmode] desirability of boxquote-style snippets for helping new us

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] desirability of boxquote-style snippets for helping new users
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:13:31 -0600

Hi Samuel,

"Samuel Wales" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have noticed more people using boxquote and similar ways of setting
> off code.  This makes it pretty and makes it stand out, both of which
> are good things.
>
> However, most prefix every line.  For example, boxquote by default uses "|".
>
> While an experienced user can figure out rectangle commands or write a
> command to unpack the quote, new users and users who can't type much
> might skip using the code to avoid having to do that.  And a very new
> user could actually stick the whole thing in .emacs and wonder why it
> doesn't work.  It adds to the burden of fixing a problem or meeting a
> need in emacs without providing much benefit.  Even a few keystrokes
> can do that.
>
> Perhaps quotes of code, in all packages like boxquote, could by
> default get fancy only on the lines precediing and following.
>
> What do you think?

I hadn't thought of that. I started using boxquote because I was
looking for an easier way to set off code. But if it's a nuisance or a
problem to new users, then I'd be happy to modify the variable
boxquote-side accordingly.

Something like this perhaps?

,----
   (setq boxquote-side "   ")
`----

What do others think? Is this readable enough?

The only downside is that the cursor has to be on the beginning or
ending line for commands such as boxquote-unbox or boxquote-yank or
boxquote-narrow-to-boxquote to work.

Best,
Matt