Re: [Orgmode] are elc files portable?

From: Christopher DeMarco
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] are elc files portable?
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:31:02 -0500

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 06:42:28PM -0600, Bill Raynor wrote:

>    org-mode. Can I compile on one and port to the others? They are all intel
>    boxes if that makes a difference. Installing on the macs is a breeze, but

Yes, you can move the emacs bytecode from one machine to another *IF*
the processor endianness is the same.  So Intel <--> Intel is fine.  I
don't know a little-endian architecture off the top of my head --
anybody out there?  (and of course, I'd love to be corrected/clarified
as I'm not hardcore CS/CE).

    Mohit and Rohit are twin brothers.  Mohit is tall and burly and
    works at Motorola; Rohit is short and wiry and works at Intel.
    They are highly competitive but inseparable.  Both working as
    engineers at large chip manufacturers, they constantly annoy their
    colleagues with their constant bickering about whether
    big-Indianness is better than little-Indianness.

>    XP is a pain, as I don't have cygwin installed there. The two macs are

But you don't *have* to compile the elisp for org-mode.  Go ahead and
move the .el around and it'll work just the same.  The lisp
interpreter in Emacs does the byte-compilation before executing
anyway; pre-compiling just makes things faster by skipping the
"compile" step.

--
Christopher DeMarco <address@hidden>
IT Director