[Orgmode] org-mode and check boxes

From: Umesh Nair
Subject: [Orgmode] org-mode and check boxes
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:16:48 -0800

Hi,

I am new to org-mode ( I tried org-mode a year back for a few days, and now again I am trying it.) but have been a power emacs user for more than 13 years.  Know enough emacs-lisp to do the normal things.

I installed org-mode 6.18c on top of 22.1.1.  I would like to get the display look like the screenshot at the orgmode.org main page.  In particular,

  1. The extra stars in the beginning should be avoided.
  2. I should be able to display and manipulate checkboxes.
Could someone tell me what variables I need to set for that?

I know that RTFM is a good answer.  I tried it, but didn't find the answer easily :)

- Umesh