Re: [Orgmode] Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:55:13 +0100

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:45:03 +0000
From: Nick Bell <address@hidden>
To: Emacs org-mode list <address@hidden>

Dear org-mode users and developers,

[Using 6.17 here.]

SCHEDULED nicely hides TODOs from agenda views until on/after the
SCHEDULED date.

I'd like to hide TODOs whose SCHEDULED date is in the future from the
global todo list (C-c a t) .

You can do a tags-todo search (`C-c a M') and then use something like

-SCHEDULED>"<today>"

which will exclude entries that are scheduled in the future.

- Carsten

'Org Agenda Todo Ignore Scheduled' option hides all scheduled TODOs,
including those whose scheduled date is in the past, so won't work for me.

In other words, I'd like to use SCHEDULED function as a kind of 'start date' for a TODO, before which it won't appear on agenda or global todo
lists. Is this possible?

I would actually suggest that it would be better to put in some form of
NOTBEFORE (better name anyone?) that would do the hiding, instead of
(mis) using SCHEDULED for this purpose. I looked into the org-mode code
and it's very nicely structured so that it should not be hard to add
this. I have been meaning to get around to it myself, but haven't been
able to take time away from what I'm paid to do for this "recreational
programming" yet....

best,