Re: [Orgmode] graphing from org-tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] graphing from org-tables
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:18:16 +0100

Hi Dan,

I don't know anything about R, but this looks really interesting.
Whenever you are ready, I will distribute this with Org.

- Carsten

On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:06 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:53:37AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

< ... >

(defun org-table-remote-range (id form
                                  &optional replace keep-empty numbers lispp)
"Get a field value or a list of values in a range from table at ID.

In 6.19, there is now  built-in unction to access data from arbitrary
tables.

Thanks a lot for writing that function Carsten.

I've used that code to extend org-table-R.el so that it can reference
remote tables in org files, and also local csv files and csv files on
the web.

The interface with org-table-R is via #+TBLR lines. These can now
occur anywhere in an org file (previously they had to be beneath the
table being analysed), with a reference to a remote table containing
the data. This reference can take the following forms (these are
options to be supplied in the #+TBLR: line)

1. table:name -- The name of a table in the same file (i.e. one named with #+TBLNAME) 2. table:id -- The unique id of an entry in an org file (the first table under that entry is used)
3. csv:path/to/file.csv -- A local csv file
4. csv:"http:www.somewhere.xx/file.csv" -- A csv file on the web

org-table-R-apply makes happen whatever is specified in the #+TBLR:
and #+TBLR:: lines. Tabular output is sent to the org buffer as a new
org table, or alternatively org-table-R may be used to graph the data
in the table. Point must be in the first #+TBLR line (previously point
had to be in the table itself).

The code (with some initial documentation) is at

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison/software/org-table-R/org-table-R.el

I'll try to put together some examples of usage for worg.

Dan

- Carsten

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison