[Orgmode] Return on a task behaves like TAB

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Return on a task behaves like TAB
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:52:03 -0500

Hi Carsten,

A recent change to org-mode is driving me nuts.  I regularly use Return
at the beginning of a task to insert a blank line and append detail to
the previous task.  This no longer works and cycles through the task's
folded status instead.

I usually work with my org-file partially folded so it could be
something like this

** Some Task...
** Another task...

and I want to add detail at the end of 'Some Task'.  What I used to do
was just put the point at the beginning of the line for ** Another Task
and then hit RETURN to insert a blank line and move up to it to add
detail.

Now it cycles Another Task through the various folded states.  C-q C-j
does what I want but I haven't unlearned my old workflow yet.

Is there a way to turn this behaviour off?

I learned this workflow because C-e puts the point after 'Some Task' and
before '...' so if I start typing there it ends up on the first line
after the task.  I don't know of a convenient way to get to the end of
the data in the task (after the '...')

I also work regularly with the results of a org-spare-tree search and
RET changes the folding status which loses the results of the search for
me which isn't very convenient.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Bernt