Re: [Orgmode] Docs submitted (Was Re: Advice sought on managing decision

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Docs submitted (Was Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 00:44:07 +0100

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:41 PM, Tom Breton (Tehom) wrote:

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:08 AM, Tom Breton (Tehom) wrote:

This bug is simple.  In "Setting it all up" at the end of org-
choose.el,
in 6.22b a quote got introduced before progn. That's all. With that
quote, it "evaluated" a quoted form and did nothing.  I'd send a
patch,
but ISTM it's easier to just press backspace once.  It's here:

(eval-after-load 'org
'(progn
;;^--HERE.
   (add-to-list 'org-todo-setup-filter-hook
                  #'org-choose-setup-filter)
   (add-to-list 'org-todo-get-default-hook
                  #'org-choose-get-default-mark)
   (add-to-list 'org-trigger-hook
                  #'org-choose-keep-sensible)
   (add-to-list 'org-todo-interpretation-widgets
                  '(:tag "Choose   (to record decisions)" choose)
                  'append)
 ))

Hi Tom,

I added the quote because without it, evaluating org-chose.el did error.
It was my understanding that such a form has to be quoted.  Am
I missing something here?

What error did it give?  I didn't get one here.

eval: Invalid function: (:tag "Sequence (cycling hits every state)" sequence)

I don't understand it either.

Definitely the form should not be quoted.  Quoted, it does nothing.
Demonstration (with libary `simple' which is fairly basic in emacs so
probably loaded for everyone):

(let*
  ((x 1))
  (eval-after-load 'simple (setq x 2))
  x)

=> 2

(let*
  ((x 1))
  (eval-after-load 'simple '(setq x 2))
  x)

=> 1

In fact, I am getting 2 in both cases!!!!!???????
Do you really get 1 for the second???

eval-after-load is a function, not a macro, so FORM will
be evaluated *before* being passed to the function.  But the
idea, IIUC is, that the form will be added to after-load-alist,
and evaluated whenever appropriate.

I have a number of eval-after-loads in org.el, each time the
form is quotes and does the right thing.

- Carsten

Tom Breton (Tehom)