[Orgmode] Re: Help with binding new key to change task state

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Help with binding new key to change task state
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 21:52:07 -0500

"Varnit Suri" <address@hidden> writes:

> The org manual talks about using C-u C-c C-t to change the state of a
> task. This command nicely throws up a list of several intermediate
> states to choose from. In addition, I have logging turned on, so each
> time I do this, I can log a note about the state change.
>
> I am merely trying to bind this to a simpler set of keys. I know C-c C-t
> is bound to org-todo, but can't figure out what C-u C-c C-t binds to
> (describe-key stops at C-u). Or then, maybe I don't know Emacs/Org well
> enough yet. Any suggestions?

C-c C-t and C-u C-c C-t both bind to the same function.  The C-u just
provides a prefix value of 4 to the function so it can behave
differently (displaying the menu of todo choices)

You probably want to set

(setq org-use-fast-todo-selection t)

so that C-c C-t shows the menu by default.

> The second thing I am trying to do is have a shortcut to take a task
> from TODO to DONE without going through the above process.

If you have your todo states defined in sequences you can use S-left
arrow and S-right arrow to cycle between the states quickly.

I use the following TODO settings:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "STARTED(s!)" "|" "DONE(d!/!)")
                          (sequence "WAITING(w@/!)" "SOMEDAY(s)" "|"
"CANCELLED(c@/!)")
                          (sequence "QUOTATION(q!)" "QUOTED(Q!)" "|"
"APPROVED(A@)" "EXPIRED(E@)" "REJECTED(R@)")
                          (sequence "OPENPO(O!)" "|" "CLOSEDPO(C@)")
                          (sequence "|" "NOTE(n)" "PHONE(T)")))

so if I have a task

* TODO Do something

then S-right arrow moves to STARTED and a second time moves to DONE

HTH,
Bernt