[Orgmode] Re: time tracking common activities

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: time tracking common activities
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:01:54 -0500

David Bremner <address@hidden> writes:

> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>>I'm using org-mode to track my time on projects and todo items, but
>>I'd also like to start tracking time I spend on things such as my
>>email, reading rss feeds, etc.  I'd prefer to continue to use
>>org-mode for that so that all my time tracking is in one place with
>>one system.
>
>>My current thought is to have a `diary.org` file that I keep tasks
>>that don't clearly fit in any of my projects.  The file would look
>>something like:
>
>>    *** DONE Checking email                  :email:
>>        CLOSED: [2009-02-20 Fri 18:56]
>>        :CLOCK:
>>        CLOCK: [2009-02-20 Fri 17:56]--[2009-02-20 Fri 18:56] =>  1:00
>>        :END:
>
> I don't see anything wrong with this, but I also don't see the need
> for a TODO. Do you need to be reminded to check email?  You could just
> make a headline, and clock on that.  Clocktables (or, maybe,
> clocktable view in agenda mode) could narrow down e.g. time spent
> reading email in one week.
>
> I guess you would still have to think about comfortable ways to find
> the right file/buffer and clock in there.

When I did something similar to this recently I created a tag for
:ONGOING: tasks and used the agenda view to quickly find these tasks for
clocking in.

I just used a single task to clock multiple times and then at the end of
the year create a new one and archive the old one so they don't grow
forever.

-Bernt