[Orgmode] How to generate a Unique id to include a headline

From: Charles Cave
Subject: [Orgmode] How to generate a Unique id to include a headline
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:02:37 +1100

Is there a way to add a unique id into the headline assuming the existence
of an external comman/script to generate the number?

I would like to include a cookie at the end of a headline that would allow
me to synchronise my org-mode contents with another application
(Listpro on Windows and Palm OS).    The cookie would be like a priority
[Id 234]

I was planning to store the next available id in a text file and have a python
script to generate the next available number, write to stdout, then increment
the stored value.

Thanks,
Charles