[Orgmode] Re: bug? in orgstruct-mode

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: bug? in orgstruct-mode
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 23:57:28 -0500

On Sun, Feb 22 2009, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> yes, this is something I have been missing myself.

Glad it wasn't just me.  I feel guilty if I'm the only one requesting
the feature.  Now that you've implemented it, are you using
orgstruct++-mode?

> orgstruct-mode is a mode that steals away bindings from the major mode
> and overrules them in certain contexts.  In general, it does make
> sense to keep the regions where this applies small, so that the normal
> functions bound to the same keys can do there thing everywhere else.

Maybe it makes sense for people who still cling to the idea that there
are useful modes outside of org-mode ;)

> You are describing here a case, where you actually never want to use
> the original function of that key M-RET, right?

Yes, I almost never want to use `message-newline-and-reformat'.

> (defun org-run-insert-heading ()
>    (interactive)
>    (run-like-in-org-mode 'org-insert-heading))

Did not know about `run-like-in-org-mode'.  Very cool.

> What I have now done as well is to extend orgstruct++-mode so that it
> will do what you ask for.  You neet to pull the git version for this
> change.

I use this full time in text-based modes now.  It's especially great for
composing emails (message-mode) and editing commit messages
(magit-log-edit-mode).

Thanks for adding this feature.  I understand why it can't be the
default, but I would encourage folks to try it.  It works really well
for me.

Have a good one,
/au

--