Re: [Orgmode] Re: MORE: Using git via USB for personal org dir and other

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: MORE: Using git via USB for personal org dir and other data files
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 16:07:41 +0100

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
>>     $ git clone -l --no-hardlinks --bare . /path/to/usb/stick
>
> I've never used -l --no-hardlinks when creating repos on my usb stuck.
> vfat filesystems don't support hard links and you can't make use of
> hard links across filesystems.

That's true :)

I just copy this from my every-day-git.org. Everything I don't work on
anymore goes there to keep the number of workspaces at a minimum. I tend
to start a lot of little projects as test balloons (or just out of
curiousity) and keep them for reference. I'm always afraid to lose some
trick I found and that does not make it into one of my real projects :)

But even then, --no-hardlinks is not needed. It's a bad habbit even, since
I waste disk space that way. Removing .git in my workspace will never
remove any of the cloned (local, on same filesystem) repos, since files
_are_ hard links, and the data is reachable as long, as at least one
hard link exists (that's the difference between hard links and symbolic
links).

At least that's how I understand hard links on Linux.

`du' does take that into account:

$ mkdir test
$ cd test
$ touch file.c
$ cat /some/file > link.c
$ du -h
16K     .
$ ln file.c link.c
$ du -h
16K     .
$ ln link.c link2.c
$ du -h
16K     .
$ ls -l
insgesamt 36
-rw-r--r-- 3 sebastian sebastian 8988  1. Mär 16:02 file.c
-rw-r--r-- 3 sebastian sebastian 8988  1. Mär 16:02 link2.c
-rw-r--r-- 3 sebastian sebastian 8988  1. Mär 16:02 link.c

No matter how many hard links I add: the disk usage stays the
same. One more point for git!

OK, I'll adjust my habbits :)

Best,

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472