[Orgmode] DocBook exporter for Org-mode

From: Baoqiu Cui
Subject: [Orgmode] DocBook exporter for Org-mode
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:51:49 -0800

Hello Dominik,

I am a big fan of your wonderful Org-mode, even though I just started to
use it two weeks ago.  I've been using (X)Emacs since 1995, and had
tried to use Muse about 2-3 years ago for note-taking and simple
publishing (i.e. generating LaTeX or DocBook documents from Muse).
However, I remember I ran into some serious limitations (like list
handling, etc.) in Muse and finally gave up on it.  I went back to
writing documentation directly in either LaTeX or DocBook (I use nXML
mode for DocBook editing).

Org-mode impressed me with its nice table editing functionality,
flexible/powerful list support and headline (or section/subsection)
manipulations, and *many* other features.  I really appreciate your work
on this valuable package, and foresee that I will be doing many more
things in Org-mode.

The only thing that is missing (at least to me) in current Org-mode is
the exporter for DocBook format.  DocBook is becoming more and more
popular, so a DocBook exporter in Org-mode could make more people move
to Org-mode.  Also, since there are a lot open-source or commercial
tools to convert DocBook format to almost any other formats (PDF,
PostScript, HTML, XHTML, Text, RTF, etc.), DocBook exporter could be the
main exporter that Org-mode needs to support.

During the last week (mainly during the last weekend), I wrote some code
to export Org files to DocBook V5.0 format, and everything looks very
promising (I have to admit that a lot of work still needs to be done to
make the code complete and stable) .  I am wondering how I can
contribute the code to Org-mode.

I am attaching a PDF file generated from a DocBook XML file that was
exported by my org-export-docbook.el, and would like to get your early
feedback/comments.

Regards,
Baoqiu