Re: [Orgmode] org-exp-bibtex.el - add support to citing bibtex in both h

From: Taru Karttunen
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-exp-bibtex.el - add support to citing bibtex in both html and latex exports
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:33:45 +0200

On 02.03 10:40, William Henney wrote:
> > Selecting only some entries to display would be possible,
> > but is it really necessary? In my use cases I just tend
> > to have a per-article bib-file that contains the entries
> > I wish to use. Making a rich enough API to sort, reformat
> > and select a portion of a BibTeX file seems quite overblown
> > for org.
>
> Personally, I use a single .bib file for everything, which is
> currently running at 12269 entries, so something like Carsten's
> suggestion would be necessary before org-exp-bibtex.el became useful
> to me :)
>
> Bibtex2html already comes with a separate tool "bib2bib" which seems
> to already do exactly what is needed. See
> http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/bibtex2html/doc/#htoc12

Yes, it contains bib2bib and even the main bibtex2html contains
functionality for this.

Now how do we want to do this with org-mode?
1) The user is responsible for creating a bib-file using
whatever tools she prefers (e.g. bib2bib).
2) Add an option to just select the entries that are used
in the org-file. Nothing fancy.
3) Add a generic API to select+sort+format the entries.

Both 1 and 2 are easy to do. I can create a patch that
adds support for this later this week. Are there any
other features that you would need?

- Taru Karttunen