[Orgmode] Re: done-ing a repeating scheduled task now inserts closed tim

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: done-ing a repeating scheduled task now inserts closed timestamp?
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:26:29 -0500

> On Mar 3, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Manuel Hermenegildo wrote:
>
>> I think a perhaps better behavior could be that the same line:
>>
>> ** TODO Check backups     <2009-03-05 Thu 11:00 +2d>
>>
>> is marked as done, then a) a *copy* is made of the TODO item, and that
>> copy is the one that goes to DONE and gets the CLOSED (i.e., a
>> "normal" task is generated and updated) and b) the repeating task is
>> shifted (without attaching anything to it, since it is a "fresh"
>> task):
>>
>> ** DONE Check backups     <2009-03-05 Sat 11:00>
>>  CLOSED: [2009-03-05 Tue 07:57]
>>  - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-03-03 Tue 07:57]
>> ** TODO Check backups     <2009-03-07 Sat 11:00 +2d>
>>
>> Apart from behaving more like a normal task this would have in my mind
>> some additional advantages: I like DONE tasks to eventually disappear
>> from my agenda. I do this by archiving them (to sibling). This allows
>> me to easily see that I have not left anything behind in past days. I
>> could now do this with the copied task, independently of the updated
>> repeater. When I want to look at what I did on a certain day I hit the
>> handy "v" key and the archived, done tasks appear again, including
>> those that originated from the repeater --great!  I.e., the
>> repeater leaves behind a trail of normal tasks.
>
> This is an interesting, alternative proposal for repeating tasks.
>
> Anyone else would like to comment on this?

Here are some comments :)

I've thought that copying the repeated task would be useful as well but
it might not be worth the effort to get it right for the general case.

My concern in copying it is I want most of the content copied too.  I
regularly add check box lists to repeated tasks with a list of things to
do and properties to reset the check boxes.

The new copied task would ideally (for me) keep the :PROPERTIES: drawer
and the content but not the :LOGBOOK: drawer.

Any notes and things would go in the LOGBOOK drawer that shouldn't be
carried forward.

,----[ before copy ]
| ** TODO Weekly Review
|    SCHEDULED: <2009-03-09 Mon ++1w>
|    :LOGBOOK:...
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
|    :END:
|
|    - [ ] Do this
|    - [ ] Do that
|    - [ ] Do another thing
|
|    Skip these
|
|    - [ ] Used to be Important task 1
|    - [ ] Used to be Important task 2
|
| ** Next task
`----

After copying for repeat I'd like the new task to be:

,----[ after copy (new copied task) ]
| ** TODO Weekly Review
|    SCHEDULED: <2009-03-16 Mon ++1w>
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
|    :END:
|
|    - [ ] Do this
|    - [ ] Do that
|    - [ ] Do another thing
|
|    Skip these
|
|    - [ ] Used to be Important task 1
|    - [ ] Used to be Important task 2
|
| ** Next task
`----

The DONE task should probably have the check boxes retained checked, and
the new copy has the checkboxes cleared.  This seems like it could get
overly complicated real fast. :(

I could also see this for more involved tasks where you want to
propagate the subtree too (like my bookkeeping task has lots of steps
which I keep as separate tasks below the repeated tasks).

Copying the level 2 task (Q2 Accounting) would need to copy all of the
subtasks in the tree and strip out the :LOGBOOK: drawers from the copy.

** TODO Q2 Accounting                                                  :PROJECT:
   DEADLINE: <2009-04-30 Thu +1y>
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   3:00
   :ORDERED: t
   :END:
*** TODO January Accounting [0/17] [0%]
  :NEXT:
    :LOGBOOK:...
    :PROPERTIES:
    :RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
    :END:
      - [ ] Enter Personal Expenses
      - [ ] Enter credit card charges
      - [ ] Balance credit card statement
      - [ ] Enter Cheques and payments
      - [ ] Enter Invoices - Receive Payments
      - [ ] Balance Bank accounts
      - [ ] Get USD value at month end
      - [ ] Foreign Exchange Adjustments
      - [ ] Print Reports
      - [ ] File receipts and reports

*** TODO February Accounting [0/17] [0%]...
*** TODO Mileage Jan - Mar
     :PROPERTIES:...

|   | Date        | Car     |  From |    To | Total | Where      | Why

|---+-------------+---------+-------+-------+-------+------------+---------------------------|
| # |             |         |       |       |       |            |

*** TODO March Accounting [0/17] [0%]...
**** TODO Record personal mileage details...
*** TODO GST [0/3] [0%]
    :LOGBOOK:...
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   0:10
    :RESET_CHECK_BOXES: t
    :END:

   - [ ] Print GST Reports
   - [ ] File receipts and reports
   - [ ] File GST Tax Return

After writing all this... it would probably be easier just to extract
out the :LOGBOOK: entries and duplicate the subtree structure for the
completed tasks.  (ie. the copy is the completed task and just
reschedule the existing task into the future like we do now)

It might be nice to have a way to have some subtasks in the tree _not_
be copied.  If you have something to remember for this upcoming repeated
task you create a subtask for that... but you won't need that in the
repeated task.

Regards,
Bernt