[Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode

From: Gour
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:27:48 +0100

>>>>> "Baoqiu" == Baoqiu Cui <address@hidden> writes:

Baoqiu> I knew it must be FOP that you did not like. ;-) I had similar
Baoqiu> experience using FOP, and I (and all other team members) had to
Baoqiu> find workarounds when hitting problems in FOP (like formatting
Baoqiu> footnotes in lists or tables).

Not hard to guess - not many players around. ;)

Baoqiu> Don't know if you have tried XEP from RenderX.  I have not found
Baoqiu> any problems in XEP.

This is commercial app, right?

Moreover, I do not believe it produces better output than TeX.

Baoqiu> Many people who don't like LaTeX can say similar things about
Baoqiu> LaTeX. ;-)

Well, in the past I used LyX which is great tool for authoring-phase and
later manually tweaked LaTeX code.

Baoqiu> The main problem with all these lightweight markup languages is
Baoqiu> that there is a limitation on their expressing power.

Have you seen http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/directives.html

Baoqiu> They are perfect tools for quickly publishing blogs, wikis,
Baoqiu> simple web sites, documentation of source code, etc., but will
Baoqiu> quickly hit their limit when they are used for more serious
Baoqiu> publishing.

Frankly speaking, reST provides a lot of expressive power if you want
it, while still keeping document very readable and no DTDs, schemas,
validation, fiddling with catalogs etc. :-D

Otoh, number of tags in DocBook is overwhelming and, imgo, way too
distracting for most documentation tasks, at least, for *my* use-cases.

Baoqiu> I don't know much about rst.el, and am still new to Org-mode, so
Baoqiu> cannot say much on this. :-)

OK. Maybe someone with more Elisp skills will hook on reST. :-D

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D