Re: [Orgmode] ~verbatim~ and =code= inconsistency exporting to Latex/HTM

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ~verbatim~ and =code= inconsistency exporting to Latex/HTML
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:46:41 +0100

On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Emilio Garcia Cota wrote:

#+TITLE: (bug|feature)? report -- exporting ~verbatim~ and =code= into Latex
#+AUTHOR: me
#+EMAIL: address@hidden
# I use latest Git (that's 1 commit ahead of 6.24c) on Emacs 22.3.1

* ~verbatim~ and =code=---inconsistency exporting to Latex and HTML

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
 [a-zA-Z_]
 [!#&*+-/:;<=>?]
 [\t\n\r ,]
 This works OK
#+END_EXAMPLE

 However if I want to randomly inline any of those in a paragraph,
 =[!#&*+-/:;<=>?]= they're not properly escaped =[a-zA-Z_]= for Latex
 ---while for HTML =[\t\n\r ,]= org-mode does the Right Thing(tm).

The reason for this is that in LaTeX, inline pieces use

\verb=[a-zA-Z_]=

If "=" is part of the string, this construct fails.  Whatever character
I choose,  it will fail for someone.  I guess I could use the
paragraph symbol §, maybe this is the least likely one of them all?
it works in my LaTeX installation - could a few more people try this
on their systems?

does

\verb§bladibla§

work in LaTeX?

I also find odd that ~verbatim~'ed text is =monospaced= in Latex while
 it is not in HTML.

Yes, I know this, both constructs use \verb in LateX.  I'd say this is
clearly good enough, though.

Is there a non-monospaced, verbatim equivalent for \verb in LaTeX?

* Another little thing---EMAIL option for Latex seems to have no effect The +EMAIL option below is not shown in Latex---whereas I can see it in
 the exported HTML. Is that a feature, a bug, or both?

What should it influence?  The standard LaTeX header we use (maketitle)
does not list the email. You can build your own title, using {{{email}}}
as a place holder.

- Carsten

* Thanks!