[Orgmode] SOLVED: elisp formulas in column view (without converting to t

From: news
Subject: [Orgmode] SOLVED: elisp formulas in column view (without converting to tables)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:43:31 +0000

Hi,
   I have rewritten the org-columns-compute function to allow elisp
   formulas in column view.
   It allows you to specify how to accumulate values from child headers,
   and how to specify the value for the current header, based on other
   columns.
   In the column specification you place elisp code between the braces
   {} after the column name. This elisp should return a list of 2
   values. The first value should be the value for that header, and the second
   value should be the running total of values so far at that level, which will
   eventually be used to set the value for the parent header.

   The following values may be referenced by your elisp code:

               | $name     | the value of the 'name' column for this header
(swap 'name' for whatever columns you have) |
               | curval    | the current value for this header
                                        |
               | curtotal  | the running total from headers at the same level
as this one                               |
               | prevtotal | the total from headers below this level

   Here is the column specification for the example that Eric gave:

     :COLUMNS:  %25ITEM %2d{`(,(or curval 0) 0)} %f{`(,(or curval 0) 0)}
%2fd{`(,(+ $f $d) 0)}

   This will ensure that the 'fd' column contains the sum of the 'f' and
   'd' columns. If there are any missing values in the 'f' and 'd'
   columns they will be replaced with 0's. No running total is needed
   for that example so the second element of the return list just
   contains 0.
   I use the ` and , chars to evaluate the elements between the brackets
   before returning the list, but you could also use the (list val1
   val2) form.

   Here is a more complicated example that calculates the geometric mean of
child
   headers:

     :COLUMNS:  %25ITEM %5count{`(,(or prevtotal 1) ,(if curtotal (1+ curtotal)
1))} %21val{`(,(if prevtotal (exp (/ prevtotal $count)) (or curval 1)) ,(if
curtotal (+ curtotal (log curval)) (or (log curval) 1)))}

   The 'val' column will contain either raw data, or a geometric mean
   depending on whether the header has children or not. The extra column
   'count' is used to count the number of children (is there an org
   function for this?).

   You could use the calc-eval function in your elisp code to do some
   calculations for you, but this would get a bit messy as it takes a
   string argument and returns a string, so you would need to make lots
   of use of the number-to-string and string-to-number functions.

   I guess it is not a very simple solution but it does the job for now.

   It anyone can improve on it that would be great... or maybe Dominik
   already has something?

   Here it is:

(defun org-columns-compute (property)
  "Compute the values of property PROPERTY hierarchically, for the entire
buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((re (concat "^" outline-regexp))
         (lmax 30) ; Does anyone use deeper levels???
         (level 0)
         (ass (assoc property org-columns-current-fmt-compiled))
         ;; parse elisp form if there is one
         (form (nth 3 ass))
         (uselisp (and (> (length form) 1)
                       (or (equal "(" (substring form 0 1))
                           (equal "(" (substring form 1 2)))))
         (form (if uselisp
                   (replace-regexp-in-string
                    "\$\\([^()\"        ]+\\)"
                    "(string-to-number (org-entry-get nil \"\\1\"))"
                    (nth 3 ass) t)))
         ;; vector to hold running totals for each level
         (lsum (make-vector lmax (if uselisp nil 0)))
         (format (nth 4 ass))
         (printf (nth 5 ass))
         (beg org-columns-top-level-marker)
         last-level val valflag end sumpos sum-alist str str1 useval prevtotal
curtotal newvals)
    (save-excursion
      ;; Find the region to compute
      (goto-char beg)
      (setq end (condition-case nil (org-end-of-subtree t) (error (point-max))))
      (goto-char end)
      ;; Walk the tree from the back and do the computations
      (while (re-search-backward re beg t)
        (setq sumpos (match-beginning 0)
              last-level level
              level (org-outline-level)
              ;; total from children, or nil if there were none
              prevtotal (if (< level last-level) (aref lsum last-level) nil)
              ;; total at this level
              curtotal (aref lsum level)
              ;; current property value as string
              val (org-entry-get nil property)
              ;; is it non-empty?
              valflag (and val (string-match "\\S-" val))
              ;; current property value as number (or nil if empty)
              curval (if valflag (org-column-string-to-number val format) nil)
              ;; get values to replace current value and running total
              newvals (if uselisp (eval-expression (read form))
                        (list (or prevtotal curval)
                              (+ curtotal (or prevtotal curval 0)))))
        (cond
         ((< level last-level) ; we have moved up to a parent
          (setq
           ;; new value, as string
           str (if (nth 0 newvals) (org-columns-number-to-string (nth 0
newvals) format printf) nil)
           ;; add text properties to it
           useval (org-add-props (copy-sequence str) nil 'org-computed t 'face
'bold)
           ;; get current text properties
           sum-alist (get-text-property sumpos 'org-summaries))
          ;; put new value here as a text property
          (if (assoc property sum-alist)
              (setcdr (assoc property sum-alist) useval)
            (push (cons property useval) sum-alist)
            (org-unmodified
             (add-text-properties sumpos (1+ sumpos)
                                  (list 'org-summaries sum-alist))))
          ;; put new org property value
          (if (nth 0 newvals) (org-entry-put nil property str))
          ;; set value for current level total
          (when (or prevtotal valflag)
            (aset lsum level (nth 1 newvals)))
          ;; clear totals for deeper levels
          (loop for l from (1+ level) to (1- lmax) do
                (aset lsum l (if uselisp nil 0))))
         ((>= level last-level) ; we have not moved up to a parent
          ;; set new org property value and add to total for this level
          (org-entry-put nil property (org-columns-number-to-string (nth 0
newvals) format printf))
          (aset lsum level (nth 1 newvals)))
         (t (error "This should not happen")))))))

--
aleblanc