[Orgmode] Latex export bugs and a request

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Latex export bugs and a request
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:16:58 -0500

Hi Carsten,

I have a three minor LaTeX export bugs to report and a request.

1. I a table group begins in the first column of a table, the boundary
is missing in the latex export.

|---+------+----+---------|
| / | <    |    | >       |
|   | Here | is | a table |
|---+------+----+---------|

produces

,----
| \begin{center}
| \begin{tabular}{lll|}
| \hline
|  Here  &  is  &  a table  \\
| \hline
| \end{tabular}
| \end{center}
`----

Note the {lll|} rather than {|lll}.

2. Headlines greater than n when H:n (e.g., level three headlines when H
is set to 2) are exported as description lists.

Is this the intended behavior?

The problem is that the next paragraph (or, worse, the next item in a
list if the headline is followed by a plain list) is folded inside of
the description list.

E.g.,

,----
| \begin{description}
|
| \item[Here is the subsubheading]\label{sec-2.1.1}
|

| \begin{itemize}
| \item And here are some bullet points.
| \item Another bullet point.
| \end{itemize}
| As you can see in the export, this interferes with the itemize.
| \end{description}
`----

Here's the full source file:

#+TITLE: Sample LaTeX export

* Table group bug

When using table groups, the first verticle line on the left is
missing in the latex export.

|---+------+----+---------|
| / | <    |    | >       |
|   | Here | is | a table |
|---+------+----+---------|

* Headline export

Headlines > n for option H:n get exported as descriptions

** Here is the subheading

*** Here is the subsubheading

  - And here are some bullet points.

  - Another bullet point.

As you can see in the export, this interferes with the itemize.

And here's the export file:
,----

| % Created 2009-03-16 Mon 13:58
| \documentclass[11pt]{article}
| \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
| \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
| \usepackage{graphicx}
| \usepackage{charter}
| \frenchspacing
| \usepackage{longtable}
| \usepackage{hyperref}
|

| \title{Sample LaTeX export}
| \author{Matthew Lundin}
| \date{March 16, 2009}
|
| \begin{document}
|
| \maketitle
|

| \section*{Table group bug}
| \label{sec-1}
|

| When using table groups, the first verticle line on the left is
| missing in the latex export.
|

| \begin{center}
| \begin{tabular}{lll|}
| \hline
|  Here  &  is  &  a table  \\
| \hline
| \end{tabular}
| \end{center}
|

| \section*{Headline export}
| \label{sec-2}
|

| Headlines > n for option H:n get exported as descriptions
|
| \subsection*{Here is the subheading}
| \label{sec-2.1}
|

| \begin{description}
|
| \item[Here is the subsubheading]\label{sec-2.1.1}
|

| \begin{itemize}
| \item And here are some bullet points.
| \item Another bullet point.
| \end{itemize}
| As you can see in the export, this interferes with the itemize.
| \end{description}
|
| \end{document}
`----

3. A different issue: html export seems ignores anything inside of
#+begin_latex ... #+end_latex, but the LaTeX exporter does not ignore
the #+begin_html, #+end_html, and #+html directives.

Would it be possible to have the latex exporter ignore markup
designated as html?

4. Finally, a request

Would it be possible to add markup for centered text to org-mode? I've
begun to create documents in org mode for export both to html and LaTeX.
For now, my workaround is to create macros for centered text that I
comment out depend on how the document is to be exported. But it would
be great if there was something like #+begin_center ... #+end_center.

,----
| #+MACRO: begincenter #+latex: \begin{center}
| #+MACRO: endcenter #+latex: \end{center}
| # #+MACRO: begincenter #+html: <div style="text-align: center;">
| # #+MACRO: endcenter #+html: </div>
`----

A related thought (and sorry for the very long email), is there any way
to define these types of macros globally, rather than in-buffer? It
would be really nice to be able to set commonly used macros globally.
Even nicer would be the ability to define macros that are context
sensitive: i.e., one substitution for for LaTeX export, another
substitution for HTML export. This might make it easier to export the
same source file to different outputs. Just a wishlist item....

Thanks,
Matt