Re: [Orgmode] Footnotes bug

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Footnotes bug
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:43:57 -0500

Hi Carsten,

>> When I call org-footnote-action, footnotes are entered inline, as
>> expected. But when I call org-footnote-action with an argument and
>> then
>> select "sort," footnote definitions are created at the bottom of the
>> section (as expected),
>

> I believe this expectation is wrong for inline footnotes which
> should be left alone when only sorting footnotes.  That was a
> bug which I fixed now.  Let me know if I am missing something here.

Thanks so much for fixing this. Yes, I see that it is much better *not*
to have inline footnotes sorted, since they are, after all, inline. The
great thing is that one can always convert them by using normalize.

By the way, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the elegance of your
solution to footnotes in org-mode. As a historian who uses footnotes all
the time, I've found org-mode's footnote features to be the most
convenient and flexible I've ever used.

Best,
Matt