Re: [Orgmode] Re: Sorting TODOs with time-up

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Sorting TODOs with time-up
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:15:13 +0200

On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:03 PM, David Engster wrote:

On Mar 30, 2009, at 4:46 PM, David Engster wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. This is a bit confusing, since sorting
by priority works in the todo list, but sorting with date does
not. Also, since I call the function 'org-agenda', it is a bit
unexpected that when I press 't' afterwards I don't really get an
agenda but a TODO list, which seems to behave differently in some
aspects from the normal agenda view I get when pressing 'a'.

Yes, this is bad terminology, which evolved historically.

"org-agenda" is a dispatcher for the different views that we call
"agenda views".

One of the "agenda views" is the global todo list (on `t'), another
one is the "daily/weekly agenda" (on `'a), which is a list of what is
due today or this week.
I always try to call it explicitly
"daily/weekly agenda" to avoid some of that confusion, but I agree, if
I'd get a chance to start again I would use better terms.  Now these
are so engrained in our mailing list culture and into tutorials etc
that I do not dare to change them anymore.

Thank you for the explanation. Maybe this situation could be cleared up
a bit in the manual. While browsing through chapter 10, I got the
impression that the different views are just different filters, but that
I'm always dealing with the same agenda mode, where each entry carries
the same information.

Actually, I think this is so, entries always do carry the same
information in all these views.  remember that, a Matt said,
time-up is time-of-day only.

Maybe one could explicitly mention which commands and sorting strategies only apply to the daily/weekly agenda? I'd also say that the doc- string
of org-agenda-sorting-strategy does not make this point clear enough.

I will see what I can do.

- Carsten

Yes can use the text property on a, `org-hd-marker', which is a marker
pointing to the original location of the item.  You can make your
function go back to get this information.

For example with
(org-entry-get (get-text-property 0 'org-hd-marker a) "SCHEDULED")

I will try that. Thank you for your help!

-David