[Orgmode] Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:38:56 +0200

On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

I think I changed that behaviour originally in commit dc43885

I was looking for a way to select tasks with no effort so I could define
an effort before working on them.

I'd like to retain the ability to find tasks with no effort easily.
There's probably a better solution that the one I came up with.

-Bernt

Are you doing this now using filtering for effort, or a property search for Effort?

- Carsten

commit dc438851021ba340bbff3462671e2b142ff6bdbf
Author: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Nov 11 06:56:32 2008 +0100

   Treat no effort defined as 0 minutes.

   Bernt Hanses writes:

This changes the default value for Effort during agenda filtering so that an undefined Effort value is treated as 0 instead of nil. Tasks with no effort defined now return zero effort when selecting tasks for
   the filter.

There was effectively no way to select 'tasks with no effort defined'
   using the agenda effort filter.  The '<' operator is interpreted as
   '<=' and the default effort selection defined in
   org-agenda-filter-by-tag starts with zero ("0 0:10 ...") so this
change just treats tasks with no effort defined the same as tasks with
   an effort of 0.

   This allows fast selection of NEXT tasks with no effort defined.
Column view with follow-mode active in the agenda is great for quickly filling in the agenda estimated effort values for tasks. Just display
   your Next tasks, then / 0 to select tasks with no effort and enter
   column mode (C-c C-x C-c) and fill in your effort values with the
quick keys (0-9) for all of the tasks that have blanks in the effort
   column.