Re: [Orgmode] Emacs 21

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Emacs 21
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:25:01 +0200

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

Hm - the only function we now use from the url package is `url-unhex'.

That is just:

(defun url-unhex (x)
 (if (> x ?9)
     (if (>= x ?a)
          (+ 10 (- x ?a))
        (+ 10 (- x ?A)))
   (- x ?0)))

As it's only 6 lines of code:

 How would we define the function if the package is not present?

(defun org-protocol-url-unhex (x)
 (if (> x ?9)
     (if (>= x ?a)
          (+ 10 (- x ?a))
        (+ 10 (- x ?A)))
   (- x ?0)))

OK, lets remove it.  I'll wait for the patch.

Still, official Emacs 21 support will stop.

- Carsten

 Sebastian

Hi,

I was just notified that Org-mode no longer installs properly on
Emacs 21.  The reason for this is that org-protocol.el requires
the url.el package which apparently does not exist in Emacs 21.

While you can

- run uncompiled Org on Emacs 21 without using org-protocol
- try to find url.el for Emacs 21

and while I will not willingly break compatibility in other places,
I will from today stop the official support for Emacs 21.  Also the
website now says that Emacs 22 is a requirement for Org-mode to
function properly.

- Carsten